Are you familiar with Hygge (pronounced hoo-GA)? It's the Danish word with a lot of different meanings "the art of creating intimacy," "coziness of the soul," "the absence of annoyance," "taking pleasure from the presence of soothing things," "cozy togetherness" and my favorite "cocoa by candlelight". It's about being with people we love. A feeling of Home! For the year 2018, the Danes are ranked as the second happiest country in the world according to the World Happiness Report issued in March 2019. This year’s World Happiness Report focused on happiness and the community. https://worldhappiness.report/ed/2019/
Why is a Realtor talking about happiness? Because happiness starts at home! Here are some very important ingredients of Hygge, all are found in the home.
1) Candles-the word for spoilsport in Danish is lyseslukker, which means "the one who puts out the candles".
2) Lamps-specifically low temperature (think opposite of fluorescent) light...sunsets, fireplace and candle flames are the sweet spot.
3) A Nook-the place in the room where you love to snuggle up in a blanket, with a book and a cup of tea.
4) A Fireplace-it just may be the headquarters of Hygge in your home.
5) Wood-A chair!
6) Books-to read in your nook!
7) Blankets and Cushions-it is cozy!
This year, after the Holidays are a memory and the dreary cold January days are upon us if you'll be happy you made the effort to make your home Hygge like.
A HOME IS NOT A PLACE...IT'S A FEELING!